We feel it is important to promote Free Software especially within the wider community, and as such we are planning on setting up a series of workshops, one-on-one tutoring with the hope to promote Free Software to the general public.
These will be held in Sussex, and more details will be listed here when they become available. Essentially they will cover the following:
- GNU/Linux installation on legacy machines
- Guides to using different varities of GNU/Linux
- Look at other Free Software packages as alternatives to proprietary software
- Tutorials on a variety of Free Software solutions for community projects
- Exploration of Programming with Free Software and Hardware
There are a few Open Source / Free Software Projects currently being run. These are as follows :
- RepRap Prusa Mendel 3d Printer - Currently in the build stage
- Arduino Drone Synth using the GinSing - Currently in Design Stage shield
- and a Wood Gasifier, taking inspiration from the GEK
The freedoms we aspire to with regards to software:
- The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
- The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to make it do what you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
- The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
- The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
The above was taken from The Free Software Definition.